PHOTO TAKEN 1906-1907


BIRTH: Abraham was born 1870 in Russia/Poland at Lipsk. His parents were Haskell/Casper or Kasper Berger and Sarah Yaglovsky Berger. He was one of many children all born before the family came to this country.

MARRIAGE #1: Abraham married Leah Rachel Lozman about 1894-1895. She was a daughter of Mendel and Basza Dulsky Lozman of Augustow, Poland.

MARRIAGE #2: After Leah's death on March 14, 1917, Abe married Mrs.Leah Boboff on November 20, 1917. However, this marriage was a short one.

CHILDREN: Abe and Leah Rachel Berger had the following children:

View various photos of Abraham and Leah's family.

Minnie was born in Russia in 1895/'96. She arrived in the US with her mother and her sister, Bessie in 1899 according to the Fed. Census of Illinois, 1910. She worked as a typist and file clerk at an electric company to help support her family and tried to take care of her younger siblings after her mother died. She married Morris Goldberger in 1926 or 1927 and they had one son, Lee Goldberger. Minnie died in 1941 of breast cancer. Lee left home after his motherdied and has been lost to the family.

Bessie was born January 15, 1898 in Russia (According to the Fed. Census of Illinois,1910). She married Robert Milleson and had three children including David, Eleanor and Lucille. Bessie died in July 1978. Eleanor married Wally Fitznerand they had atleast two daughters. Eleanor died in 1994. Lucille married Raymond Bieze. David married Nancy ?. He became a Methodist minister. They had two sons and lived in Wisconsin. He passed away in March 2006 at age 76.

Ezra "Edward" Mandel was born July 9, 1900 in Chicago. He had a wonderful voice and was being trained as a cantor at the local synagogue. But that didn't work out. He was also artistically talented. He graduated from the 8th grade and attended night classes at the Chicago Art Institute. But when his mother died suddenly in 1917 the family broke up and he took many jobs to help support his siblings. In 1919 he joined the Army Air Corps and was stationed at Kelly Field in Texas. After the army he and a friend tried homesteading for two seasons on an acreage in Colorado above Colorado Springs. Later he returned to Chicago and opened his own business of furniture refinishing. There he met his future wife and in Cheyenne, Wyoming, May 2, 1936 Ed married Ina "Marie" Klingaman. They lived in Denver. Marie had a daughter from a previous marriage, Elaine, born in 1928. Born to Ed and Marie were three children, Lois Jane, Edward Franklin and Claire Elizabeth.
For several years after Ed closed his furniture refinishing shop the family owned and operated a private club, Belleview Park, in Cherry Hills where they catered to families and groups for daytime swimming and evening barbeque/pool parties.
In 1981 Ed and Marie retired to Arizona where he died in 1988 from complications of emphysema brought on by years of smoking and she died in 1993 of asthma. Their ashes were spread there.

Harry Arthur was born October 10, 1902 in Chicago. He was about 15 when his mother died and he went with his brothers to live with his mother's first cousin, Sarah Dulsky Barnett, for about three years. He married Claire Louise Adams in 1941. They had no children. Harry graduated from Northwestern University as a Second Lieutenant due to his background in the R.O.T.C. For a time he was the Commandant of the Madison Street Armory in Chicago. He was in the 32nd division of the 133rd Battalion. Harry was very active in the South Pacific during WWII. After the war he was assigned to the staff of General MacArthur in Japan as a Lieutenant Colonel. While there he had a severe stroke. After his recovery he retired from the service as a full Colonel. He and Claire moved to Denver where he died in 1960 from a heart attack. Harry was buried in the Rose Hill Cemetery in Chicago. Claire stayed in Denver for a while after his death but eventually returned to Massachusetts where she had been reared.

Julius was born in 1904 in Chicago. He married Agnes (?)about 1941. They had no children. Jule, lived with his mother's cousin, Sarah Dulsky Barnett and her husband Frank, for about three years after his mother died. His father, Abe had remarried. Jule wanted to join the army and when he was 16 he lied about his age, ran away and signed up. Later he left the army and joined the Navy. While serving in the Navy he developed rheumatoid arthritis and became severely crippled. He was sent to Hot Springs, Arkansas for treatment including gold shots, etc. but never recoverd his health. He was forced to retire from the service. For a time he was a plant manager for a manufacturer in Morris, Illinois. He and Agnes retired to Denver where he died in 1957 of uremic poisoning from the medications for pain he had taken for many years.

Faye was born in 1907 in Chicago. Her mother died in March 1917, when she was just nine years old. After that loss Faye lived with her father and his new wife. But she was unhappy there and then lived with several other relatives, including her father's brother, Philip and his wife and some other cousins of her parent's, the Dalsey/Dunsky family, until she married Max Egert. Max and Faye had two children Maurice and Audrey. For a while Faye’s nephew, Leroy “Lee” Goldberger lived with their family after his mother, Minnie Berger Goldberger died. For many years Faye worked for the office of the Mayor of Chicago. She and Max retired to Florida for many years but after Max died she returned to Chicago where she died in 1987. Audrey died in the 1990's of diabetes and never married.

LOCATIONS: Abraham was born and grew up at Lipsk near the borders of what was, at times, Russia, Poland and Lithuania. He arrived in the U.S. from Bremen, Germany on the S.S. Oldenberg Jan.21,1899 after a two week voyage. His original departure was from the village of Lipsk in Suwalki. His occupation was listed as a joiner, a carpenter who did cabinetry. His age was shown as 29. Somehow Abe and family are not shown on the US Census of Illinois in 1900. The next record available so far in this country was in 1907. This was the birth certificate for his daughter Faye, who was born in July of that year, where the family is shown living at #10 Solon Place in Chicago. (Note: Solon Place has been changed to Aberdeen St.)
Next, the 1910 Census lists the family's address as 1111 Franks St. Building "N". By 1913 they had moved again to a building on South Wood Street. It was near West Park #1. The original Cub's ballpark, before it was moved to Wrigley Field, was one block away. This is where they lived when their son, Ezra "Edward" received his bar mitzva. The children attended the John M. Smythe School. Later the County Hospital was built on that block.
After that they were living at 1630 S. Ridgeway Avenue in the Lawndale area which was about two miles or so west of the Loop. This is the address given on the death certificate of Leah in 1917. After Leah died, the children moved across the street on Ridgeway and lived there a short time. Then Abe remarried late in 1917 and the family broke up. In 1918 Abe's son Edward showed on his draft form that his closest relative was his father who was living at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland. It is not known how long he was there. This could have been directly after Leah Rachel died and for some time after that. We know he was married in Chicago to his second wife in late 1917. Abe's name was missing on the 1920 Fed. Census of Illinois but he died in Chicago in 1927.

DEATH: Abraham died of pneumonia on June 27, 1927 and was buried in the Waldheim Cemetery in Chicago, Illinois.

FURTHER NOTES: Shortly after his marriage to Leah Rachel Abraham was drafted by the Russian Army. He had a sabre fight with another soldier and cut off the fellow's ear. He was arrested and held. He wrote to his father, Haskell/Casper or Kasper, who was already living in Chicago and asked for his father's help with money to escape to the United States. Kasper/Haskell did send the funds and Abe came to Chicago and joined his father and his Uncle Sam and other relatives in 1899. Leah arrived later in 1899 according to information from the Fed. Census of Illinois of 1910. The Census also shows that Minnie and Bessie accompanied their mother to the USA in 1899. The ship that brought Leah and the girls has not been identified. Leah and Abe's first born son, Edward, was born July 9th, 1900 at the Michael Reese Hospital confirming they were living in Chicago at that time. Edward, Harry, Julius and Faye were all born in Chicago.

Abe became heavily involved in the beginnings of the Union Movements in Chicago that were forming early in the 20th Century. Because of labor problems there, he was often unable to find work. This caused financial hardships for the family, especially when the men were on strike. Being a carpenter and a cabinet maker he worked at the shipyards in Pennsylvania but this took him away from home for long periods of time. Frequently he was called to New York at Ellis Island where he helped with translation for the new arrivals as he could speak, read and write Yiddish, Polish, Russian, German and English. Faye, Abe's daughter, was only nine when the family broke up in 1917. But one of her memories was that theirs was the only home in the area that had a telephone. The reason was that Abe needed to respond when he was needed at Ellis Island.

Abe's son, Edward, remembered his father as a happy and idealistic man who stood six feet tall. When Leah died suddenly in 1917 from diabetes the family soon broke up. The younger children went to live with relatives and the older ones made their own way in life from that time on.